Wednesday, November 18, 2009

21 Month Update






Owen had his wellness checkup he is 70% for weight and weighed in at a whopping 29.5 pounds. I was beginning to wonder why my arms felt like I was carrying around a very heavy lead weight when taking him down our stairs to the car...it was because I WAS carrying around a very heavy lead weight! He stands at a height of 33 3/4 inches tall, bringing him to 75% for height. His McCarthy melon is still almost off the charts, allowing for a 90% head circumference. Now that is a large head..though we really don't see this large head the doctor continues to confirm that he has, but I guess it's there.

Owen celebrated his second Halloween and this year actually got the gist on how it all goes down. Darren found a great Everlast Boxer costume and we decked him out with authentic AllStar converse kicks on his feet. I dressed up like Owen's personal trainer. Owen's boxing name was The Great White Hope. As personal trainer, I made sure he gathered up lots of candy and didn't dilly dally walking up to the houses in the neighborhood. He was on a strict and strenuous training regime...we were not messing around. I mean candy was involved! But all in all he did great and even said "treat" and held out his basket when he walked up to the door. When we got back I stole all of his candy out of his basket and filled it up with carrots and healthy stuff. Owen pulled out a sugar snap pea and looked at me and said, "Hey"...he was a little pissed his candy went missing! I don't blame him.

Owen and I have been attending story time at the library. It is definitely a work in progress. He has not quite mastered the want or need of sitting down quietly and listening to a stranger read a book. Instead he likes to get up during the quiet time and walk behind the teacher and giggle until I get up to try and bring him back to his seat. This doesn't always work as planned and a lot of the time he plays a game of run away...which of course is awesome for me. I get to chase him behind the teachers chair, around the table and as soon as I get close enough to grab him, he takes off the other way and hides under the table. Giggling at me because he thinks that this is a really fun game we are playing! I remind him that when I actually do get a hold of him he is in deep trouble, but again this does not seem to bring any sense of fear into his eyes as I would hope it would! Like I said earlier, a work in progress!

Owen's favorite phrase is now, "No WHY". Now where in the hell did he learn that? Whenever he wants something and you don't give it to him, or you try to convince him that changing his diaper is a good idea or tell him that it is time to get ready for bed, he replies with a rather loud and whiney, "No WHY?" It just makes us laugh every time. I thought the word "WHY" happened a little later on in life. Though we should have known with this kid, things tend to happen a lot earlier.

All in all Owen is still a very happy child. He loves to play hockey and make us score or as he likes to say "core" with him in a daily basis, watch his few favorite cartoons in the morning while drinking his milk, chat on the phone and say hi to anyone that will listen and continues to be a very detailed and organized individual by lining up all his cars and animals in a straight lines while playing.

We are looking forward to some more turkey for Thanksgiving in a week and wish everyone a Happy Turkey Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great bio on the continuing saga of Owen...thanks for sharing with us. Love Aunt and Unc

Anonymous said...

He's a lucky little boy!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome - I love it !! He looks so grown up in the pics..nice one of you and Darren too. We will make sure to bring our mini-net & sticks with us to Mo & Dan's during Christmas - Owen & Ryan can have some battles !! can hardly wait luv deb :) xoxox

Anonymous said...

That's my grandson!!!!! Can hardly wait to see you guys in 35 days!!!!! Love Grammo & Gramps