

I was holding my baby, now a big baby, on my lap last night as he dozed off while watching the Detroit v. Phoenix hockey game. (Or wait, was that me that dozed off while watching the hockey game?) Either way, I was holding my baby in my lap and looked down to realize he is really a big boy now. I mean he always tells Darren and I that he is a big boy, but it really hit home last night looking at him sleeping, with his long legs hanging off my arms that cradled him. OK, let me wipe the tear that is coming from my eye. :) But he is a big boy and definitely is smart like a big boy.
Grandma Edwards spent the night last night, because she is wonderful and watches Owen for us 2 days a week :) I was showing Owen and Grandma his baby book. We were looking through the pictures and reading out loud the memories I wrote down and Owen was telling me that the baby in the pictures was indeed Owen. I have one page that has an imprint of his baby hand and foot and we put Owen's hand up to it so I could show him how much he has grown. We flipped through several other pages and then he started to flip back to the imprint page and said, "Mom, I want to measure my hand". He put his 2 year old hand next to the 1 week year old hand and smiled. Seriously, the word measure? I mean...come on! The other day we were driving in the car and we saw a mom pushing her baby in a stroller and Owen said, "Mom, I see a baby". I said, "I see a baby too!" and then Owen says, "He's cute." I said, "No, your cute." and he said, "No your cute, mom". I mean we could banter back and forth all day about how cute the McCarthys/Edwards are, right?
I have started to take Owen to open tumbling class on Monday morning with Papa. Which he absolutely loves. He gets to run, jump, bounce, climb and act like a crazy 2 year old for 2 hours and impress Papa with all his newly acquired tricks. He is getting pretty good at scaling up mats and really has no fear of jumping off them either! Which of course makes mommy nervous.
Yesterday was a big day for the McCarthy household. Darren had his interview for his US Citizenship. He passed with flying colors and probably taught a few Americans a thing or two about American history. He will be sworn in on Wednesday, May 5th. We are very happy that he is now one of us! Congratulations Darren. Owen and I are super proud of you!
The McCarthy's have made it into Chicago, and we are looking forward to spending a lot of time with them. They will be staying for the month of May. Owen can't wait to see his Gramps and Gram-Mo again!
2 comments:
I wiped a tear too when I read, "I mean he always tells Darren and I that he is a big boy, but it really hit home last night looking at him sleeping, with his long legs hanging off my arms that cradled him." Moms eventually reach that surprising realization in their toddler's life & it is bittersweet. Our Jenna used to say, "Grandma, I can't stay little like you want me to, I've gotta grow!" ...another tear at the time.
Again..what another description of the exciting adventure of Owen Daniel McCarthy...he is a big boy..and he is a good boy.
Congrats Darren on your becoming a U.S. citizen..guess that history buff in you helped to show others what you know about the "America's"
We love you Darren and proud of all that you do..whether Canadian or USA...we are happy that you are part of our family.
Love Ken & Susan
Post a Comment