Tuesday, August 24, 2010

30 Month Update




Our baby is now 2 1/2 years old. Wow how time flies. Owen is definitely becoming more independent and definitely has his own set of rules. He has been testing his limits or shall I say our limits on a daily basis. For some reason his ears do not work as good as they used too. Can you say terrible two's...We are really, really praying that this does not last much longer. I would like my sweet little Owen back. :)

Though he is not always on his best behavior at times, he is still my baby and I love him to death. He is constantly saying funny things that I like to share with you. Owen and I were carrying on a very serious conversation in the car the other day. He told me, "Mom, I am going to go to "gool" (school) and bring my "pack-pack" (back pack). I asked him what he is going to bring in his back pack and he told me, "I am going to bring treats. I am bringing "pancakes, muffins, "mun-kins" (munchkin doughnuts from Dunkin Donuts), cake and "wa-yer" (water). I mean thank god he is bringing some sort of liquid to wash down all the sugar infused tasty treats when he spends his day learning at "gool". At least I taught him something right!

Speaking of "mun-kins" at Dunkin Donuts, Owen and I have a routine. Now I am not sure if this is necessarily a good thing or bad thing quite yet. But mommy likes her medium coffee with skim milk and one splenda and Owen loves himself a beach-ball inspired mun-kin. The beach ball mun-kin is covered in pink and orange sprinkles. We walked in right up to the counter and put his hands under his chin and said, "Hey Al (the Dunkin Donut manager), Can I have donut peese", Al let out a good laugh and handed him his donut.

Darren and I spent a Saturday with the Wagenaars and we took the kids to the Kane County Cougar baseball game in Geneva. The kids had so much fun log-rolling down the hill (see the video below) and I am almost positive they had NO clue that there was an actual baseball game going on. We sat in the lawn seats and they spent their time running up and down the grassy hill, over and over and over while their mom and dad's sipped on some Miller Lites and chased them over and over and over again. I thought baseball was supposed to be a relaxing sport to watch, we were wiped out when it was all said and done. But to end our fun day, the park had an awesome firework display - which the kids and us parents very much enjoyed!

Darren and I were talking about Santa Clause with Owen, trying to bribe him to be a better sleeper, and asked him what is the name of the man who dresses in red, has a long white beard and comes during Christmas to give you lots of presents. Owen said, "Allison". Haha, I guess he is 100% correct, who spilled the beans? After dropping Darren off at the train, Owen and I were driving to Gi-Gi's house and on the side of the road, 5 feet in front of us was a large brown deer, eating some leaves off of a fallen tree branch. Owen yells, "Mom, it's a reindeer". Hmmm, now that is wierd, maybe Santa really does exist!

As you all know by now, Darren got a new job and we are moving to Trail. Owen will get to use his Canadian citizenship card and Darren's friend Scott Wallace said that he will teach Owen and I how to say, "eh" like a true Canadian. It is a great opportunity for us, but we sure are going to miss our family and friends. Not sure how I am going to be able to leave and I pray that you all visit a whole lot! Wish us luck in our newest adventure. We will keep you posted on our progress!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al...a great story written and a great family leaving Chicago...we love you 3 and you will always be in our hearts and will come visiting "eh"!

Love Aunt and Unc

fineoldthings said...

We don't know how you're going to leave either but our love will go with you.