Whoever coined the term Terrible Twos, should be shot. Because the Terrible Twos have NOTHING on the Torturous Threes. Owen has been testing the waters and trying to figure out his limits on pretty much anything and everything. He likes to see how far he can take things before the veins start to bulge out of my neck and my nostrils begin to flare! There have been many an incident on removing Owen from a playdate situation due to hitting, not sharing, yelling etc. I have become really good at being that mom that can yell at her son very quietly yet ferociously under her breath to get her point across. Though I LOVE that our son is a very energetic and spirited kid and would never wish him to be a quiet and shy toddler, he sure is making me work at this "Mom" thing on a daily basis. We are hoping this is just a fun phase that he will soon shake..for my sake, sooner then later! Though there are some hard parts to the day it is always surrounded by some really awesome parts, that makes up for everything above. Owen is a very thoughtful boy, has a kind heart and says some really funny and cute things.
The weather has been looking up and the sun has been gracing us with its presence. We took advantage of the spring like conditions and Owen and I went to wash the car and vacuum the 6 month old cracker crumbs, raisins, dried up fruit snacks and lost pieces of "O" bars in the great abyss of his car seat and the surrounding areas. And boy did it need it! In the mean time Owen got to pretend to drive the car while I vacuumed and somehow pressed a "special" button to turn on the anti-theft system in our car. Thus the car did not start when we wanted to leave. I was not happy but Owen told me, "Mom, I know what to do. We can just buy a new car!". What a stellar idea, and I wish things could have been that easy! Oh to be 3 years old! I magically got the car started after 10 minutes of cursing under my breath and reading the car manual.
We have been frequenting Darren's hockey games and Owen has of course made two new friends. Their names are Paige and Graydon. They are the kids of a guy on Darren's team. They spend the hour running around the rink, going up and down the stairs and eating the required microwave popcorn that Owen has to bring to each game so he can share with his friends. Owen also likes to test the limit and jump down each individual stair and give me a minor heart attack each time he does since they are cement stairs...and a lot of them. I told him the other day to stop jumping and he looks at me and says, "Sorry Mom, I can't. I have to do my exercises." Haha...how do you argue with that?
We were just talking with Owen about babies and asked him if he wanted a brother or sister if we had another baby. He told Darren, Dad you have to have a "brudder" in your belly because you are a boy and mom you have to have a "sisser" because you are a girl. But they wont know how to talk because they are babies." Darren asked, Are you going to teach them how to talk?" Owen replied, " I don't know how." and gave a sad face. So needless to say if we have another boy in the future, Darren is going to have to give birth to him because he is a boy. Sounds A-OK by me.
I celebrated my 35th birthday yesterday and got to spend the morning and afternoon with my favorite guy Owen at the park, had a great dinner with my other favorite guy and sang and danced the night away with a few girlfriends at karaoke night at a local bar. All in all it was a great day and it started out with a very cute moment. My birthday morning Owen woke up and came into my room. He said, "Mom guess what, it is your birthday! Hold on I will be right back, I have to go check sumptim." He proceeded to fly out of the bedroom, around the corner and into the living room in hopes to see the room decorated with a Toy Story theme and a handful of presents on the dining room table. I heard him say, "Oh No" and he ran back into our room and said, "Oh mommy, you don't have any presents...I'm going to have to call daddy." I couldn't help but laugh. I had to expain to him that when you are old birthday presents are better spent on a nice dinner and glass of wine. Of course he didn't get it and was wondering why I didn't get a Buzz Lightyear bicycle to celebrate my big day!
Grandma and Papa are coming in 5 days for a visit! We are sooooo looking forward to seeing them!
1 comment:
Allison...another great entry into your life journal w/ Darren, Owen and especially you. Thank you for keeping us in your life cycle.
Torturous 3's?...wait until the
tumultuous teens...
Love aunt and unc
Post a Comment